top of page

Town Clerk

Northumberland town hall.jpg

Town Clerk

Denise Murphy

Fax: (518)743-0483

Office Hours:

Monday - Thursday: 8 am to 4 pm

Tuesday Evenings: 6 pm to 8 pm

Friday: 8 am to 1 pm

*Lunch from 1 pm to 2 pm

Important Documents

or visit NYS Department of Motor Vehicles for more information. 

Birth, Death, & Marriage Certificate Copies

The Town of Northumberland’s Town Clerk’s Office follows the guidelines as set forth by the New York State Health Department (Vital Records Section) for all searches of birth, death or marriage records.

We ask that you cooperate with our staff to ensure the process moves as quickly as possible. Our office is very busy, but we will work as diligently as possible to fulfill your request in a timely manner. Please remember the following:

  • No information will be provided over the phone

  • Request cannot be processed immediately, so please do not plan on waiting 

  • We cannot bend any rules

Applicants must pay the required fee for each search and Certified Copy, for each search and Certified Transcript or for each search and No Record Certified Form. Effective August 1, 2003 the New York State Department of Health set the following fee schedule:

  • Certified Transcripts & Certifications of Birth, Death and Marriage is $10.00 per copy.


The fee for issuing uncertified copies of birth, death and marriage certifies by the New York State Department of Health, local registrars, town and city clerks increases as follows:

  • 1-3 year search = $22

  • 4-6 year search = $32

  • 7-10 year search = $42

  • 11-20 year search = $62

  • 21-30 year search = $82

  • Additional 10 year increments increase by $20 per decade


No fee is charged for copies of records needed for school entrance, working papers, welfare assistance or veterans' benefits.

Marriage License Fees: $30.00 + $10.00 for the Certificate of Marriage Registration that is sent to the newlyweds.

Birth, death and marriage records are confidential and are not open for public inspection.

THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO VITAL RECORDS. Section 4173 of the NYS Public Health Law and Part 35 of the State Commissioner’s Administration Rules & Regulations place restrictions on access to these records. Searching of records must be conducted only by the Registrar, the Deputy Registrar or an authorized employee of the Registrar. In the Town of Northumberland, the Town Clerk and her deputy serve as registrar and Deputy Registrar.

Certificate of Residency

In order to have Saratoga County participate in the cost of his or community college education, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residence and submit it to the college.


Military personnel on active duty are entitled to the lower “Resident” rate directly from the college; they do not need a Certificate of Residency.

You must apply for your certificate no later than the start of classes and no sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes. Certificates remain valid for semesters that begin within one year from the date of issue.

Residency Requirements:
To be eligible for a Certificate of Residency you must be:

  •  A continuous resident of New York State for one year immediately preceding your date of application, and

  •  A resident of Saratoga County for at least one month within the six months immediately preceding the date of your application.

If you have not been a resident of Saratoga County for the entire six month period, you will have to obtain a Certificate from each county in which you have resided in the past six months.


Elements of Acceptable Proof:

  1. Each document must be dated and include your name and street address. Documents with a post office box will not suffice.

  2. At a minimum, two proofs are required: one more than a year old and one less than a month old.

  3. Each resident on your application must be documented.

  4. Non-citizens are required to document their resident status.

  5. No claim of residency will be accepted solely on your testimony of that of your parents, relatives, friends or other individuals.

  6. The standard of proof will not be compromised because you have left yourself insufficient time to obtain acceptable proof.

Examples of Acceptable Proof:

  • Driver’s license, car registration, insurance card

  • Transcripts or report cards

  • Bank statements, utility bills

  • Medical records, prescriptions

  • Formal lease or letter (on letterhead) from your landlord indicating dates of tenancy

  • Dated mail or postmarked envelopes

  • Income tax return with preprinted label

If you were born outside the United States:

  • Naturalization papers

  • Birth certificate indicating U.S. citizenship of parents

  • Immigration papers indicating permanent resident status

  • Certificate of Residency Application

bottom of page